Chorizo Chilaquiles Casserole
1 pound chorizo sausage (if links, remove from casings)
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 (14.5 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chilies
12 (6 inch) corn tortillas, torn into quarters
4 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
1 pint sour cream
1/2 cup sliced green onion
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat and lightly coat with oil.
2. Add sausage and stir occasionally until browned.
3. Remove to a plate and return pan to heat.
4. Add onion and sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
5. Add garlic, cumin and chili powder. Stir for 30 seconds.
6. Add tomatoes and browned chorizo. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in green chiles and season with salt and pepper.
7. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a 9x13-inch baking pan.
8. Spread half of tortillas in bottom of pan, then top with half of chorizo mixture and 2 cups of cheese.
9. Layer remaining tortillas, topped with chorizo and remaining cheese.
10. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
11. Remove from oven and let sit for 10 minutes. Top with sour cream and green onions. Serve hot.
Recipe from Central Market Mill Creek - Culinary Resource Center
1. I added chopped avocado to the top and replaced the sour cream with Greek yogurt.
2. Will definately make this again. Next time I'll add bell peppers.