- 8 slices smoked bacon
- 1 1/2 cups scallions, Leeks work as well
- 1 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 4 -5 cups chopped unripe green tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat oil in a large 4 quart pot over medium high heat.
- Add bacon and cook until browning.
- Add scallions, garlic and bay leaf until all is tender and cooked through.
- Add salt, pepper and tomatoes and stir well, then add broth and water.
- Bring to a simmer and cover partially for 35 minutes.
- Taste to adjust seasoning if need be.