Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Spiced apple and butternut squash soup

Remember that awesome pumpkin chili from last fall? That same grocery store sent me another recipe. I was intregued enough to try it.

Mind you, butternut squash is not my favorite, though Mr. Snowgoose and I once made a cheesy, bacony butternut squash soup that was good. I don't think he'll eat butternut squash (or any squash for that matter) unless there's bacon or cheese involved.

I always forget what a pain in the ass butternut squash is to make. First, of all they weigh a ton which means they aren't cheap. Then you have to peel it and the skin never wants to come off. After that you have to slice into the damn thing and scoop out all of the seeds. Finally you get to cube it. The whole process takes forever and a day. And since I only ever buy butternut squash once a year, I forget how terrible it is to make.

But you want the recipe, right?! Here is my modified version

Ingredients

1/4 cup butter
1 large onion, diced
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced (I did not peel the apple. That extra fiber is good for you)
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 medium-sized butternut squashes, peeled, halved lengthwise and seeds removes, diced into 1-inch cubes.
6 to 8 cups chicken or vegetable broth (more if you don't want it thick)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat
2. Add the diced onions and apples and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
3. Stir in spices, cook for 1 minute, then add squash and broth.
4. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered until squash is tender (at least 30 minutes)
5. Puree and serve

Notes: This makes a lot (at least 8-10 servings) so be prepared for leftovers.

No comments: