My bff (best friend forever) Waffle, who currently resides in our basement, declared that this was the best thing I've ever cooked. This is coming from someone who ate all of my kale and bacon saute.
This is adapted from a recipe for Forest Mushroom Soup in the Royal Caribbean cookbook Carte du Jour.
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 clove garlic, chopped
2 medium yellow onions, diced
2 medium russet potatoes, diced
2- 10oz bags crimini mushrooms
10 oz portabella mushrooms
1tspn dried thyme
1 bay leaf
1/3 cup white wine
4 cups chicken stock
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. In a small sauce pan or dutch oven over low heat, warm oil and cook garlic until golden (8ish minutes). Add onions and saute for 4 minutes.
2. Add mushrooms, potatoes, and herbs and saute for about 5 minutes, or until potatoes carmelize.
3. Deglaze with white wine and add chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Add heavy cream and mix well/
5. Ladle soup into bowls. Garnish with a drizzle of truffle oil if desired (not necessary if you don't have any/ it's too pricey).
This is the kind of soup you want on a rainy day. Hell, you could eat it on a sunny day. Freeze extra and you'll never have to buy canned cream of mushroom soup ever again.
That time we went to Tofino
3 years ago