Monday, October 17, 2011

Pumpkin Turkey Chili

Yesterday on Twitter I started raving about the pumpkin turkey chili I was making in my crock pot for Sunday dinner. Immediately I started getting requests for the recipe, which I got in the mail from a supermarket I frequently shop at. I used the recipe as a springboard and made my own modifications (as usual).

Ingredients
1 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 cups frozen bell pepper strips
2 tsp minced garlic
1.25 pounds ground turkey
2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes with chilis
2 14.5 oz cans kidney beans
1 large can (about 3.5 cups) pumpkin
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp black pepper
shredded cheese
sour cream (optional)

Directions

1. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat and saute onion and peppers and garlic until tender. Add the ground turkey and cook until evenly browned.
2. Pour mixture into crock pot/ slow cooker. Add can tomatoes, pumpkin, and spices.
3. Cover and cook at low heat for 4 to 5 hours.
4. Serve topped with cheese and and sour cream, a side salad, and warm cornbread.

Cook's Notes

1. This is ridiculously good. The cornbread I made was not, therefore I won't impose my recipe on you.
2. I know what you're thinking- pumpkin? Gross! But wait. The pumpkin gives it a nice creamy texture and the taste is very subtle.
3. The original recipe didn't call for beans. WTF? Who eats chili without beans?
4. The menfolk I fed this two have already asked that I make it again.

Pictures to follow soon.

No comments: