Monday, September 12, 2011

Tomato basil buttermilk soup

Since it is September in Seattle we finally have reached summer and have a crapload of tomatoes. I'm giving away containers of cherry tomatoes to everyone I see and we're going to have tomato themed dinners for the next few weeks. But I'm not complaining!




I was all set to make gazpacho this morning but the weather had different ideas. It was cold and gray. Not cold soup weather. So I opted to make a tomato soup instead. The problem was NONE of my cookbooks (soup ones included) had a recipe I liked. My solution? Make my own.

Ingredients

A mess of tomatoes (try 3 or 4 pounds any variety or size)
bunch of basil
1/2 c vegetable broth
1/2 c reduced fat buttermilk
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
salt and pepper to taste

Directions

1. Put tomatoes into a saucepan on medium heat with garlic and oil and vegetable broth and let it cook down for about 30 minutes. Go take a shower, fold laundry, and wash dishes while you wait.

2. Add basil and buttermilk and salt and pepper. Puree the hell out of the tomatoes with your immersion blender.




Cook's Notes

1. The recipes I read called for me to peel the tomatoes and remove seeds. Are you kidding me? How on earth do you do that to a cherry tomato? I left everything intact. It will give your soup a little texture but who cares!

2. Why buttermilk? Why not? Next time I'll try cream.

3. I'd add some red pepper flakes to this to give it a kick.

4. Also, you should know I guessed on the measurements because I really just eyeballed it all. I never measure anything. True story.

5. This is a recipe you could really make your own: add pesto or more herbs, white beans, ect.

No comments: