Monday, June 20, 2011

Chilled peach soup

My mom sent me the recipe for this peach soup. She at the cabin, where there are apparently mountains of fresh peaches. Her email to me said: Sounded good when I saw it this am on an Atlanta station so I tried it (1/2 recipe) and was pretty good did not use the cardamom as it was not in the cupboard…and it’s to far to run to the store for only 1 thing here.











Chilled Peach Soup


This soup can be a starter, side dish, or even dessert and the taste is absolute heaven





Prep Time: 10 min.


Level: Intermediate



COOK TIME 10 minutes


YIELDS 4 cups





Ingredients:





4 cups fresh peaches, peeled and sliced (about 5 medium peaches)


1 cup white wine (such as pinot grigio)


1 cinnamon stick (3-inch)


1/8 teaspoon cardamom


2 tablespoons honey


juice ½ lemon


6 ounces plain yogurt


¼ teaspoon vanilla extract


fresh mint for garnish





Directions





FIRST In a medium saucepan combine peaches, wine, cinnamon, and cardamom over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes or until peaches are soft.





NEXT Remove peaches from heat and let cool slightly. Puree in food processor or blender until smooth. Add honey, lemon juice, yogurt, and vanilla and pulse until smooth. Thicken with addition yogurt if desired.





LAST Refrigerate until chilled. Ladle into bowls, garnish with fresh mint, and serve.





Cook's Notes:


I made this for Father's Day. Papa Snowgoose (upon hearing that my parents may have added vodka to their soup) said, "Is there more? Mr. Snowgoose liked the complex taste.





I used chardonnay since that's all we had in the house. The mint came from our backyard.





We'll likely eat this again. I ate the leftovers for breakfast!

No comments: