Thursday, December 16, 2010

That mushroom/chicken/ rice dish your mom made in the 80's

Lately I've felt like I'm turning into my mother (in the kitchen that is). Over the past few years I've embraced the semi-homemade recipes she made from my childhood: homemade pizza, chicken and yellow rice, turkey soup, just to name a few.

Post-Thanksgiving I was cleaning out my freezer/ cupboard and I stumbled on a can of Campbell's Cream of Mushroom soup. I tried in vain to remember what she used to make that involved chicken and mushroom soup. Google came to my rescue with Creamy Mushroom-Garlic Chicken, a no-fail recipe with stuff that you already have on hand!


Creamy Mushroom-Garlic Chicken

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)

1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom with Roasted Garlic Soup

1/2 cup milk



Directions:

1.Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes or until well browned on both sides.

2.Stir the soup and milk in the skillet and heat to a boil. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.

Cook's Notes:

1. In a total 80's move I added rice and brussel sprouts, though I gave it a 2010 twist: brown rice and sauteed the sprouts in bacon, olive oil, garlic, and sprinkle shredded parm. cheese on top.

2. Mr. Snowgoose loved it. Adding it to my rotating menu. The best part? It took 20 minutes to make.

3. I don't even like brussel sprouts, but it's true. Bacon makes everything better.

No comments: