Thursday, December 16, 2010

my now famous candied almonds with rosemary

Special thanks to my grandma who sent me the recipe as a hint after I sent her dried rosemary for Christmas last year.

This tastes like a million dollars and like you slaved over a hot stove for hours. In reality, it takes 10 minutes. Thank you Martha Stewart!

Indredients:2 tablespoons sugar
Coarse salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons honey
2 cups almonds (raw or blanched)
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary


Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Stir together 4 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat butter and honey over medium-high heat in a large skillet until bubbling. Remove from heat. Add almonds and rosemary, and toss to coat.

2. Transfer almond-rosemary mixture to a rimmed baking sheet (do not scrape excess syrup from skillet). Sprinkle with sugar-salt mixture. Roast almonds until fragrant, 8 to 9 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 teaspoons sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; toss to coat. Let cool completely.

Cook's Notes:

1. Of course when I made it I didn't measure anything, which comes as no surprise. The beauty of this simple recipe is that you can play around with it.

2. I used fresh honey from a health food store, but I imagine the honey that comes in pastic bears will work fine.

3. Also, Martha says not to scrape extra syrup from skillet, but I did and so far no one has died.

4. I'm gifting this to practically everyone this year. So far no complaints. It pairs well with granola if you're making your own food gifts (I don't mean combining the two in one container).

5. Since my yard is overrun with rosemary I imagine I will gift this forever. Also, check the bulk bins at stores for almonds, it's often cheaper than the packages!

Happy Holidays!

No comments: