Mr. Snowgoose loves Chinese food. I do not, though I will compromise and make him fake out take out dishes from time to time. In the April 2010 issue of Real Simple I came across a recipe for Sweet and Sour Chicken with Cashews. Last week I finally made it, though I made several modifications to make it easier (and healthier)
1 cup brown rice
18 ounces frozen chicken nuggets
1/2 cup apricot preserves
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoons dried ginger
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 package stir fry veggies
1 tbsn chili paste
1/2 cup roasted cashews
1. Cook the rice according to the package directions.
2. Meanwhile, cook the chicken according to the package directions.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together the preserves, soy sauce, vinegar, and ginger. Set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the veggies and chili past and cook until the vegetables are just tender, 1 to 2 minutes.
5. Add the chicken, sauce, and cashews and toss to coat. Serve over the rice.
1. It was good, though even better the next day.
2. I love the use of chicken nuggets because they hold the sauce perfectly. Maybe next time we'll try sesame chicken or kung pao chicken with the nuggets.
3. This is going into our take out rotation!
That time we went to Tofino
2 years ago