Saturday, December 12, 2009

Super fast and super easy Creole Shrimp and Sausage Stew

We like spicy foods in the Snowgoose household. We also like anything with sausage in it. So when I came across this recipe for Creole Shrimp and Sausage Stew in Cooking Light (September '09), I knew I had to make it.

It's probably the easiest thing I've made in a long time and aside from the shrimp and suasage, it uses indredients that are staples in my fridge and pantry.

Creole Shrinp and Sausage Stew

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)


Ingredients

2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup thinly sliced turkey smoked sausage (about 6 ounces)
1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
3/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained (such as Rotel)
8 ounces peeled and deveined medium shrimp
1 (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Preparation

1. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add bell pepper, sausage, and garlic to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until bell pepper is tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Stir in shrimp and beans; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 6 minutes or until shrimp are done. Sprinkle with parsley.

Nutritional Information
Calories:191
Fat:6g (sat 1.7g,mono 2.7g,poly 1g)
Protein:21.3g
Carbohydrate:13.2g
Fiber:3.5g
Cholesterol:97mg
Iron:2.9mg
Sodium:694mg
Calcium:127mg

Cooks notes:

1. It took slightly longer than 20 minutes and I used a red bell pepper instead of green. Since my tomatoes didn't have chiles in them, I subsituted several dashes of tabasco sauce for heat.
2. Make a double or triple batch because it's so damn good you'll go through it wicked fast. It freezes well and makes a great lunch or quick super. You can even serve it with rice or french bread. My FIL and Mr. Snowgoose loved it so much I've made this two more times in the last few months for them. It will be in heavy rotation on our menu this winter. It's a nice change from chili.

Note:
The next time I make this I'll take photos and post them!

No comments: