Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Chicken Cacciatore with Cremini Mushrooms

We're big cremini mushroom fans in the Snowgoose household. Well, at least I am. I probably go through two packages a week.

In cleaning out my recipe file I found this recipe from last January's Body and Soul Magazine.

Note: this is not a quick recipe. It requires at least four hours in the crock-pot. But it's a classic! I made some slight modifications and this is the result.

Ingredients:

4 chicken breasts
8 ounces cremini mushrooms, quartered
1 can (28 ounces) whole peeled plum tomatoes in juice
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup dry white wine like as Sauvignon Blanc
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
1 sprig fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried

Directions:

1. In a 5-quart slow cooker, stir together chicken, mushrooms, tomatoes, flour, wine, celery, onion, rosemary, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.

2. Cover; cook on high setting until meat is tender, 4 hours. Do not lift the cover of the slow cooker while cooking. To serve, discard rosemary sprig.

Cook's notes:

1. I somehow ran out of onions and thought I'd add extra celery for crunch. Guess what? Celery is not a good onion substitute! As my FIL said, "maybe next time include the onion."
2. I didn't use a rosemary sprig. Instead I added lots of fresh rosemary from my garden and it worked fine.
3. I did not serve it with brown rice, but we did use sourdough bread to mop up the juice.

Would I make it again? Hell yes!

I can't find the photos, but I will upload them eventually!

No comments: