Thursday, October 15, 2009

The time I tried to make pesto and nearly cut off my finger

You know how this one ends, but do you know how it begun?

Ten or so days ago, I was home prepping dinner before yoga for Mr. Snowgoose and I. We had just cleaned out the lettuce and herb containers and planted garlic and onions, so I was using the last of our homegrown basil to make pesto.



We love pesto in the Snowgoose household, and Mr. Snowgoose usually makes it.

This time I decided to try. The recipe was from Better Homes and Gardens.



Ingredients
1 box Thin Spaghetti
1 cup fresh basil
1/2 clove garlic
2 tablespoon pine nuts (I used 1/4 cup cheese)
2 tablespoon Parmigiano cheese
1 tablespoon Romano cheese (Actually I used more like 1/4 c cheese)
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
To taste salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.

Add garlic, pine nuts, grated cheese to blender and blend for about 15 seconds until brought together.



(note: this was when it went downhill and when I discovered that Mr. Food. Processer would not be fufilling his sous chef duties.

Add basil, oil, salt and pepper and continue to blend until a slightly loose pesto forms, about 2 minutes.


Cook pasta according to directions.

Toss pasta with pesto in a bowl and serve immediately.

Cooks notes:

I think the key to success in this dish is just mixing in the amount of oil, pine nuts, cheese, garlic, and basil, that you feel like and it makes a creamy paste.

What you don't want to do is use your immersion blender to grind the stuff up when you can't work your husband's food processor that was made in 1984. Immersion blenders do not bode well with dry goods, stick to soups that need to be pureed. Otherwise, this happens:



and this:




8 stitches, 4 cute fireman, and a trip to the ER in an ambulance. Fortunately I still have a functional index finger.

But I'll leave the pesto to chef Snowgoose.

Oh, and yes, the pesto was ruined.

No comments: