Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Chewy Granola Bars

Last March when Sharona and I went to London, Sharona brought homemade granola bars to snack on. They were really good. She told me they were easy to make, so I filed the thought in the back of my head for future reference.

Mr. Snowgoose and I eat a lot of granola bars. I've had a recipe from vegetarian Times in my idea folder since last summer and I finally decided to make some.

Guess what? They were totally easy to make and tasted wicked good. So good in fact I think I'll just make a batch every week rather than buy granola bars.

Chewy Granola Bars
makes 25 squares

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (I used regular flour)
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
2/3 cup chopped dried apricots (I used a dried fruit mix)
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (I used regular size)
1/2 cup walnuts (skipped this but added raisins)
1 cup packed light brown sugar (I used dark since it was what I had on hand)
1/2 cup maple syrup (I used sugar free)
1/2 cup almond butter (I used reduced fat peanut butter since I am not a fan of almond butter)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large egg whites

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray
2. Combine oats, flour, baking soda, and 1/4 tsp salt in bowl. Stir in apricots, chocolate chips, and walnuts.


3. Beat brown sugar, maple syrup, almond butter, oil and egg whites with electric beater until smooth.


Stir in oat mixture.
4. Spread mixture in prepared baking dish and pat down firmly. Sprinkle top with remaining salt. Bake 30-35 minutes or until firm.



Cool 20 minutes before slicing into bars. Unmold, and store in an airtight container.

Per square: 202 calories, 4 g protein, 8.5 g total fat, 2 g fiber.

No comments: