Sunday, September 14, 2008

Zucchini Bread, Plain and Simple

Sunshine has all these variations on zucchini bread, and I got curious enough to make my own. Also, this version has a ton of actual zucchini in it, so you can feel slightly virtuous when eating it - despite the oil and sugar. This counts as one of your 5-a-days, right?

prep time: 20 minutes
cook time: 1 hour
makes 2 large loaves, 6 mini loaves

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
1 1/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups grated zucchini (green)
1 cup chopped walnuts

Ingredient Notes:
The original recipe called for all white sugar, but after reading some of the reviews, I opted to use half brown, half white.
I am a big fan of cinnamon, so I used heaping teaspoons of the spice.
You can use 1/2 cup of oil and 1/2 cup of unsweetened applesauce to cut the fat content.
I left out the nuts so that my toddler could eat it.

Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini and nuts until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans.
Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, and completely cool.

Baking notes:
Use Pam with flour - so easy!
I think I slightly over-cooked mine, so they were not quite as moist as promised, but next time I will just take them out of the oven sooner.
Still delicious though - I will definitely make this again.

No comments: