Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Really Simple: Garlicky Broiled Salmon and Tomatoes

From the September 2008 Real Simple Magazine.

For my new Father-In-Law's birthday, I wanted to make something that was easy yet tasted like I had spent most of the day in the kitchen (which was true about the dessert: chocolate zucchini cupcakes).

I chose the Garlicky Broiled Salmon and Tomatoes because Real Simple claimed it would take 15 minutes from start to finish and because it looked good. Since there was only three of us, I modified the recipe and only bought 1.15 pounds of fresh salmon from the market.

Ingredients:

3 6-ounce pieces skinless salmon fillet
4 medium tomatoes, cut in half
1/2 teaspoon paprika, preferably hot
2 tablespoons olive oil
Kosher salt and pepper
8 sprigs fresh thyme
4 cloves garlic, sliced

Heat broiler. Place the salmon and tomatoes, cut-side up, in a broiler proof roasting pan or on a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle the salmon with the paprika.

Drizzle the salmon and tomatoes with the oil and season with 3/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Scatter the thyme and garlic over the top.

Broil until the salmon is opaque throughout and the tomatoes are tender, 8 to 10 minutes.

Yield: Makes 3 servings



Since I packed up all the ingredients and brought them to Mr. Snowgoose's dad's house, I forgot the garlic. Since he didn't have any, I added a garlic rub and garlic pepper but it wasn't as garlicky as I'd have liked.

Since I added the easy edamame salad and booked some instant brown rice (I love boil in a bag rice!), the total time was more like 20-25 minutes.

This was the end result:




Next time I'll add more paprika and garlic to the tomatoes.

No comments: