Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Really Simple End of Summer Vegetable Soup

I know I'm a couple of days late with this post considering Fall started Monday (right?), but if you're like me and refusing to acknowledge that summer is over (and clinging desperately to the hope of an Indian Summer and sunshine) or if you have leftover summer veggies that are thisclose to rotting in the crisper, then I have the perfect soup for you, courtesy of the September issue of Real Simple Magazine.

Note: it is not vegetarian, but you can make it by swapping out the chicken broth for vegetable broth.

Also the recipe is for a make ahead version. I just cooked the whole thing and then froze what I didn't eat.

Ingredients:

4 cups low-sodium chicken broth

1 15.5-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 large zucchini, cut into bite-size pieces
1 large yellow squash, cut into bite-size pieces
1/2 pound green beans, cut into bite-size pieces
2 cups corn kernels (cut from 2 ears, or frozen)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
Kosher salt and pepper

In a large bowl, combine the broth, cannellini beans, zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, corn, onion, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Divide the mixture among freezer-safe containers. Freeze until ready to cook, up to 3 months.

Cook It
Frozen soup mixture
1/4 cup fresh dill sprigs

Transfer the frozen soup mixture to a saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, partially covered, for 10 minutes. Uncover and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the dill.




Yield: Makes 6 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 140; FAT 1g (sat 1g); CHOLESTEROL 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 26g; SODIUM 273mg; PROTEIN 9g; FIBER 6g; SUGAR 6g


Cook's notes:

I used chicken bouillon cubes rather than plain broth because it was what I had on hand.

Also, I didn't add any dill, but I added a lot of garlic. And by a lot of garlic I mean vampires are afraid to come within a ten block radius of my kitchen.

I ate the soup the day I made it. The green beans were a little crunchy, but after I started reheating and eating the soup the green beans became softer and more manageable. And I totally used frozen corn.

No comments: