Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fast French Toast (with apples)

For our first breakfast/ brunch as a newlywed couple, I decided to make Mr. Snowgoose and I French Toast. It also helped that in the freezer I had some stale french bread, and exactly two eggs left over from the zucchini bread and an apple that was about to go bad.

From the Better Homes and Garden Cookbook (page 125)

Ingredients:

2 beaten eggs
1/2 cup milk (we used soy)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
5 1-inch thick slices of French bread or 6 slices of normal bread
1 tablespoon margarine, butter, or cooking oil
maple-flavored syrup
1 apple. sliced and de-cored.

Directions:

In a shallow bowl beat together eggs, milk, vanilla, and cinnamon. Dip bread into egg mixture, coating both sides.

In skillet or a griddle cook bread in hot butter (or cooking spray like we did) over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

Serve warm with syrup. Makes 5 or 6 slices.

Since I had left over egg mixture I dipped my apple slices in it and let them soak it up. then I threw them in the skillet after the French Toast was done. Then I tossed everything together.

Without syrup:


With syrup:



Serve with your favorite coffee and yogurt. I think if I'd had soem bacon it would have made it even better.

No comments: