Thursday, September 4, 2008

Fake out Take out: Chinese Chicken and Rice with Veggies

It's no secret that I don't really like Chinese food. It makes me feel gross and I'm hungry like 15 minutes after eating it.

But I do like brown rice and chicken and veggies.

A few weeks ago, while shopping at my neighborhood Trader Joe's when I discovered Soyaki Sauce.



Since Mr. Snowgoose likes Chinese food (and pretty much everything) I decided to make my own version of Chinese take out.

It's relatively simple and quite filling.

Ingredients:
3 or 4 tablespoons Soyaki Sauce
garlic cloves, crushed (as much or as little as you like)
frozen peas
three or four small chicken breasts
frozen edamame, unshelled
2 cups instant brown rice cooked
frozen broccoli
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:

1. Cook brown rice as directed
2. In a skillet saute chicken in garlic, olive oil, and soyaki sauce
3. When chicken is nearly cooked, toss in frozen veggies and saute with additional sauce.
4. Mix everything in a big bowl.
5. Serve.






If you're a vegetarian, this is relatively easy to modify. Switch out the chicken for tofu or just add more veggies.

No comments: