Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Chocolate Zucchini Cupcakes

This is a similar recipe to my famous blueberry-zucchini bread. Sharona made a chocolate zucchini cake and bragged about how good it was, so I had to check it out for myself. It's from the Bon Appetit Cookbook (2006).

Since I don't have cake pans (yet), I opted to make cupcakes so that I could share some with Mr. Snowgoose's dad (for hos birthday) and send Mr. Snowgoose into work with some.

The recipe claims to make 12 servings, but it made 24 cupcakes.

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour (sifted, then measured) (note: I did not sift. I do not own one of those sifter things).
1/2 cup unsweetened coca powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups sugar (I used Splenda for Baking)
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk (I used soymilk. When Sharona made it she used a combination of milk and yogurt.)
2 cups grated, unpeeled zucchini (about 2 1/2 medium)
1 6 oz package semi sweet chocolate chips (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts (I used 1/2 cup)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Line and grease two 12-cup cupcake tins with cupcake wrappers.



3. Sift flour, cocoa powder, biking soda, and salt into medium bowl.
4. Beat sugar, butter, and oil in a large bowl until well blended.
5. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Beat in vanilla.
7. Mix in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions each.
8. Mix in grated zucchini.



9. Mix in chocolate chips and nuts.



10. Bake cake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 30 minutes, Cool cake completely.



These turned out pretty awesome, if I do say so myself. We wound up serving them with ice cream.

No comments: