Thursday, August 21, 2008

Repeat: Zucchini-Blueberry Bread

Remember this?

Since I picked up yellow zucchini and a flat of blueberries for wicked cheap at the Farmer's Market last weekend I decided to finally break out the Kitchen Aid mixer and stoneware loaf pans and bake some bread. Well that and it was really gloomy out and I wanted the apartment to smell liked baked goodness when Mr. Snowgoose came home.

Here's a recap of the recipe:

Ingredients:

2 eggs, lightly beaten or equivalent egg replacer
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup shredded zucchini (I peeled mine first) I used 3 small yellow ones.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 pint fresh blueberries (or about 1 1/2 cups frozen)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two mini loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer into mini loaf pans.
3. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 50 minutes (slightly longer if you double the recipe like I did). Let cool for 20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.


Notes: I had no idea how heavy the mixer would be! But it was a life changing experience using it. How did I exist before without it?

Just as I was getting ready to bake at 5 o'clock I discovered we did not own any vegetable oil so I had to pop out to the closest grocery store (6 blocks) in the rain. I suppose I'll get used to it.

But the bread turned out pretty good. The yellow zucchini worked just as well as green zucchini. In fact a whole mini loaf was devoured by me within 12 hours.

No comments: