Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Real Simple: Pasta wuth Yellow Zucchini and Goat Cheese

I'm back in the kitchen after a brief hiatus in which I packed up all my stuff (including kitchen supplies) and drove cross country with my friend and occasional guest blogger, Hungry Cougar.

Since I don't have a job (yet), I've been cooking more. Mr. Snowgoose has been reaping the benefits of my unemployment.

We have an awesome farmer's market in our neighborhood that we've been frequenting every Sunday.

I found yellow zucchini! (photo to come) It's not squash. It's really zucchini that is yellow.

Since I had fresh zucchini and goat cheese in the fridge, I opted to surprise Mr. Snowgoose with this pasta dish from the June 2008 Real Simple Magazine:

Ingredients:
12 ounces (3/4 of the box) linguine
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound zucchini, sliced into thin half-moons
Kosher salt and pepper
1 clove garlic, chopped
5 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest

Directions:
Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Reserve 1 cup of the cooking water, drain the pasta, and return it to the pot.

Heat the oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the zucchini, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring, until the zucchini is tender and any liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook 1 minute more.Add all but 2 tablespoons of the cheese to the pasta. Add the reserved pasta water, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Stir until creamy.

Serve the pasta topped with the zucchini, lemon zest, and the remaining cheese.

Tip: Fresh goat cheese is creamy and soft, which makes it ideal for incorporating into pasta dishes. Buy a log and crumble your own; the precrumbled bits sold in stores often don't melt as well, and they can be more expensive.

Yield: Makes 4 servings

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 455(24% from fat); FAT 12g (sat 6g); CHOLESTEROL 16mg; CARBOHYDRATE 68g; SODIUM 746mg; PROTEIN 20g; FIBER 4g; SUGAR 6g

They weren't lying, this recipe is really simple.

I made a few changes though: I used a whole package of this whole wheat colored pasta we got from someone as an early wedding present. I only had 4 ounces of goat cheese and I left out the lemon zest, so the end result was a little less creamy. And I probably only used half a pound of zucchini since it is not Mr. Snowgoose's favorite vegetable.


Served with salad and slightly stale french bread.



And we had plenty left over so Mr. Snowgoose had two more lunches worth of pasta and goat cheese.

The end result:

No comments: