This is another from the freezer meals. I found the recipe at Whole Foods in their Meals for 4 under $20 pamphlet.
I had been wanting to make risotto (from scratch) for ages. I invited my friend Steve over for dinner promising scallops and risotto (two of my favorite foods to eat out). The day he was supposed to come over for dinner and a scrabble rematch, I went for an epic training run. I came home tired and sore and I had no desire to slave in the kitchen, but I didn't want to cop out and order a pizza.
This recipe was really simple yet tasted like a million bucks. I was tempted to lie and say the risotto was from scratch, but instead I told the truth.
1 6 oz box Tomato and Basil Risotto
1 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 10.6 oz package of scallops
1 small bunch of fresh asparagus cut into 1" pieces (note: I cheated and bought frozen aspagus which was already pre cut into 1" pieces)
1. Prepare risotto using olive oil according to the package, adding asparagus and all but 12-16 of the scallops to the simmering rice after 5 minutes.
2. Continue cooking, stirring a few times while simmering.
3. When the risotto is almost finished, saute the reserved scallops according to package directions.
4. Top each serving of risotto with a few sauted scallops.
1. I sauted all of the scallops in olive oil and garlic before adding to the risotto.
2. I also sauted spinach in olive oil and garlic and served it alongside the risotto (in addition to frozen french rolls which I heated up).
3. From start to finish the meal took less than 30 minutes.
It was super good and the perfect recovery meal post run (lots of protien and carbs). I will definately make it again since it was so easy and fairly cheap. And Steve loved it.
Sorry no photos. Maybe next time!
That time we went to Tofino
3 years ago