Monday, March 31, 2008

From the Freezer: Ravioli and Edamame in Parmesan Sauce

I know it's been awhile since I posted, but March has been a crazy month: a trip to Seattle, an engagement, a trip to London, and Marathon training. I've had to rely heavily on my freezer for meals. Under normal circumstances my freezer houses a bad of frizen peas (for injuries. it's better than a bag of ice), some hard liqour for parties, and coffee. This month my freezer has been home to girl scout cookies, frozen berries, edamame, scallops, ravioli, and lots of frozen veggies. Since I've been traveling so much it's been easier to just pop frozen green beans into my pot of ziti or zap frozen corn for my bean burritos rather than having to deal with fresh produce gone bad because I was away for a long weekend.

I found the following recipe for Ravioli and Edamame in Parmesan Sauce in the March 2008 issue of Heath Magazine. It was ridiculously easy and good and the perfect post-run meal.

Ravioli and Edamame in Parmasian Sauce

Prep: 3 minutes; Cook: 7 minutes.

Ingredients
1 (9-ounce) package whole-wheat cheese ravioli (such as Buitoni brand)
3/4 pound frozen shelled edamame
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup preshredded fresh Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper


Preparation
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. While the water is heating, measure remaining ingredients.




2. Add the ravioli to the boiling water and cook for 5 minutes. Add the soybeans and cook an additional 1–2 minutes or until tender.

Drain the ravioli and soybeans, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid.

3. Return ravioli to the pot and stir in thyme. Whisk together sour cream, Parmesan, salt, pepper, and reserved cooking liquid. Toss the pasta mixture with the sour cream mixture, divide among 4 bowls, and serve immediately.



Yield
Makes 4 servings (serving size: about 2 ounces pasta and 3 tablespoons edamame)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 394; FAT 16g (sat 7g,mono 2g,poly 0.0g); PROTEIN 23g; CHOLESTEROL 62mg; CALCIUM 304mg; SODIUM 634mg; FIBER 8g; IRON 3mg; CARBOHYDRATE 37g


Cook's notes:

1. The only whole wheat ravioli I found was spinach and cheese, so I used that.
2. Instead of sour cream I used a half cup of my favorite whipped cottage cheese. It was only a modeate success. I would recommend that everyone stick to sour cream, unless of course they want the extra protien.
3. I did not have fresh thyme. I used a pinch of dried. You could even leave it out.
4. It tasted better the second day. I even liked it cold.

No comments: