Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Lasagana Redux

Since I'm training for the Boston Marathon (9 weeks!) I'm eating a lot of carbs, especially pasta. My all time favorite (as you know) is lasagna. Whole Foods had some recipes out the other day, so I swiped this one for Spinach and Cheese Lasagna and made my own modifcations.

Here is what I used:

1 cup whipped cottage cheese (same texture as ricotta cheese, less fat. I used the Friendship brand)
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1 10 ounce package of frozen spinach, thawed, chopped, and drained
sea salt and pepper
1 tablespoon fresh oregano


half a jar of pasta sauce (I used Ragu)
6 no boil lasagana noodles, uncooked
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons parmesean cheese

I should note that this is not a full recipe. I had these noodles left over from the crockpot lasagana and wanted to use them up. The same goes for most of the ingredients. I was trying to clean out the fridge and pantry.

I used two small baking dishes for my mini-lasagnas.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. In a large bowl mix cottage cheese, half the mozzarella, the parmesean cheese, spinach, salt, pepper, and oregano.




3. In a baking pan or dish, layer sauce, then a layer of noodles, then a layer to spinach/ cheese mix and repeat. Top with sauce and sprinkle top with remaining cheese.



4. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until it smells done. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.



Cook's notes:

This was so good I'm sorry to say I ate both pans in one night. I had no willpower. In my defense I needed to carbo-load before the next morning's long run. I will seriously make this again it was so yummy (and easy!). Next time I'll make an extra large batch and freeze half.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What size jar of Ragu? I am making this over the weekend! Can't wait!
--
Robyn

Marathon Libraian said...

I'm guessing it's 16oz. Whatever the normal size is at the market that sells for $2-3