Monday, January 7, 2008

Maggie's Onion Eggplant Soup

Awhile ago my friend Maggie passed on a few recipes to me, including this one for Onion Eggplant Soup.

I had the recipe with me when I went to buy the ingredients, but after that it was lost (until it popped up in my planner today), so I had to play it by ear and guess for part of the recipe.

Here is the original:

Ingredients

2 small zucchini or yellow squash
5 cups water or more
4 large onions cut into rings
1 medium eggplant peeled and chopped
1 6oz can tomato paste
1/2 cup dry red wine (optional)
1 can beef broth (or use bouillon cubes)
1 t basil
1 clove garlic minced
1 t olive or vegetable oil
1 t sugar
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

Cut up all vegetables and combine with other ingredients. This can be cooked in a slow cooker or on the stove (takes an hour or so)

Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese when serving.

How I remembered it:


2 small yellow squash
some water
3 onions, chopped
1 medium eggplant, chopped (I left the skin on! Oh no!)



1 6oz can tomato paste
1 can beef broth
Italian seasoning
lots of minced garlic
olive oil (to saute onion first)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Freak out that you misplaced original recipe
2. Decide that four onions are too may and chop three. Use onion chopper and squirt onion juice in eye so that temporary blindness occurs.
3. Saute onions and squash in olive oil. Add garlic.



4. Dump eggplant in, followed by a can of broth. Realize there is not enough liquid, so continue to fill pot up with water.



5. Add tomato paste and stir.
6. Add seasoning.
7. Taste soup and decide it is too bland. Dump in a mountain of cayenne pepper.
8. Let it simmer for awhile.
9. Add lots of Parmesan cheese to soup when served.




Notes:

As you can see my soup and Maggie's are nothing alike. You could vegan/ vegetarianize these by replacing the beef broth with veggie broth.

No comments: