Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Yep, It's Vegetiarian: Savory Butternut Squash Gratin

I found the following recipe in a fall edition of Shape (or Health) Magazine. It looked good, plus it had cheese and squash, two of my favorite foods. And I love potatoes au gratin, so I figured this would rock my world.

Psych!

But here it is for all you squash lovers out there.

Ingredients:
1 large butternut squash (about 1 1/2 pounds); peeled, seeded, and cut into 3/4 inch pieces

1 cup low sodium vegetable stock
1/2 cup grated Gruyere Cheese (or any type of Swiss)


Directions

1. Heat the oven to 350

2. Prepare the squash: Cut off and discard the stem of the squash. Divide the squash into two pieces by slicing through it horizontally. Peel each half with a sharp knife. Using a spoon, scoop out seeds. Then cut squash into 3/4 inch pieces, using knife or a food processor fitted with the slicing blade.

3. Place Squash slices in a large saucepan, cover them with water, and bring to a boil.


Cook over high heat for 2 minutes, then drain into a colander/

4. Pour a thin layer of vegetable stock on the bottom of a 9" x 12" baking dish and alternate layers of squash and Gruyere, saving some cheese for the top. Salt and pepper to taste.

5. Top with remaining vegetable stock and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven, and add remaining cheese. Continue baking until cheese melts and is slightly browned (about 10 minutes).


Serves 2



Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes (totally not true. More like 40 minutes)

Per serving:
285 calories
7 grams fiber
13 grams protein

"A single serving provides half your calcium needs for the day."

Cook's notes:

I don't know what planet the writers were from, but this seriously made at least 4 servings. Also, 1/2 cup of cheese is not enough. I used at least a cup. Also, ignore the part about a cup of broth. It was too much and turned my gratin into soup, so I had to drain it after it cooked the first 30 minutes.

As it turns out, I don't like the taste of squash and cheese together, at least not swish.

It did however taste slightly better the next day, but I still wouldn't make it again.

Perhaps my problem was that I was expecting it to taste more like potato au gratin and the squash threw me off. Or perhaps it's just plain gross to begin with.

Totally unrelated: James while I was trying to wrap presents.

No comments: