Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Wicked Good (and Easy) Veggie Stew

You'll notice this is quite similar to the beef and barley stew I previously posted.

I realized the other day that I had nothing to bring for lunch at work (well nothing I didn't have to fully cook first like pasta). On my way home from work I stopped at the store and picked up a bag of mixed veggies, a can of diced tomatoes, and a can of chickpeas. Later that night, I dumped a bunch of things in my crockpot and set it to low and went to sleep for 8 hours. I woke up to the most delicious smell!

For all you vegans and vegetarians and crunchy granolla people out there, I give you "Wicked Good Veggie Stew"

Ingridients:

4 potatoes (I used red), cubed 1/2 inch or smallish (note: leave the skin on)
1 yellow onion chopped
1 bag mixed veggies (carrots, corn, lima beans, green beans)
1 14oz can diced tomatoes
1 can chickpeas
1 cup uncooked barley
garlic (lots!)
8 cups of water with the appropriate amount of vegetable boullion cubes
salt and pepper, to taste
Italian seasoning (a couple of shakes)

Directions:
Throw everything in the crockpot or slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

Enjoy!

This seriously tastes like classic vegetable soup. This is my new winter staple.

No comments: