Monday, December 31, 2007

Red Chicken Chili

The following recipe comes from Cooking Light Magazine.

I love chili. I love how hearty it is and all the beans and vegetables. I tend to make it every few months in the fall and winter because it makes an easy lunch to bring to work.

I saw this recipe and had to try it. It looked easy enough.


Red Chicken Chili, Cooking Light, SEPTEMBER 1999

Ingredients:
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 cups chopped onion


1/4 cup chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/2 teaspoons dried cumin
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups chicken stock
1 16 ounce can kidney beans, drained
1 16 ounce can black beans, drained
1 14.5 ounce can whole tomatoes, undrained and chopped
3 cups diced cooked chicken
1/2 cup shredded reduced fat-extra-sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup low fat sour cream


Preparation
Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.

Add onion; saute 5 minutes.


Add chili powder and next 4 ingredients (powder through garlic); saute 30 seconds. Add Chicken Stock, beans, and tomatoes; bring to a boil.








Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 30 minutes.


Stir in chicken; simmer 15 minutes.










Serve with cheese and sour cream.








Yield
8 servings (serving size: 1 cup chili, 1 tablespoon cheese, and 1 tablespoon sour cream)

Nutritional Information
CALORIES 280(30% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 3.3g,mono 3.3g,poly 1.6g); PROTEIN 24.5g; CHOLESTEROL 54mg; CALCIUM 150mg; SODIUM 743mg; FIBER 5.4g; IRON 3.6mg; CARBOHYDRATE 26.6g


Cook's modifications:
1. I assumed I had both oregano and cumin in my spice collection. Not so much. Instead I substituted 2 teaspoons dried Italian herb seasoning. I figured there was oregano in it.
2. The chili powder. 1/4 cup seems like an awful lot. I put in more like 1/8 plus a couple of shakes.
3. I did not add salt. I figured the sodium from the stock and beans was enough.
4. I added 4 cups of chicken stock because that was the size of the container I bought. Also, I used a low sodium chicken broth after I read the label and discovered that one cup of broth had like a zillion mg of sodium in it.
5. Since I added an extra cup of broth, I threw in an extra can of black beans.
6. Just for kicks (and because the chili was lacking veggies) I added some frozen bell peppers to the onions.

7. I thought the whole buy a can of whole tomatoes, then chop them idea was dumb. It seemed like too much work, and you know how lazy I am. Instead I bought a can of diced tomatoes and they worked fine.
8. Again, because I am lazy, there was no way I was going to cook chicken and then dice it, so I shelled out some extra cash to buy the already cooked and diced chicken. It was not 3 cups worth, but I didn't care.

Thoughts:
1. This wasn't spicy enough, probably because I didn't have cumin. It needed a little bit of cayenne pepper.
2. I ate this for dinner last night and I was surprised at how full it made me. I couldn't even finish my bowl.
3. I wonder if we could make this vegetarian/vegan by switching to vegetable stock and cooked, diced tofu? And of course soy cheese and tofutti sour cream (which I actually used in place of real sour cream).



My dinner date:


Happy New Year!

No comments: