Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Grandma's Hot Mulled Cider

My grandmother served the following recipe for cider on Christmas. She made it last year only using apple cider, but the addition of cran-apple juice this year put it over the top. I practically had to fight everyone off with the soup ladle so that I could enjoy the half dozen or so cups I consumed.

This drink will be a fixture in my future holidays. It's garunteed to make family gatherings even more enjoyable.

I had to beg her for the recipe. Here it is:

"Heat half gallon apple or cran-apple juice in a crock pot. I used cran-apple this year, but apple was very good last year too.

Add two cups good quality red wine. I used a Red Rose because I like a sweeter wine.

Steep two heaping teaspoons of Williams-Sonoma Mulling Spices placed in a tea ball. I left mine in the pot even while serving the Mulled Wine. I had a very decorative tea ball that came with the Mulling Spices that Danielle had given me for Christmas several years ago. It had a little snowman on the end of the chain and I thought he looked cute hanging out of the crock pot. I may be peculiar, oh, well.

Also add one half cup of Savannah Cinnamon Mix. This mix comes in a bottle and is made and distributed by Savannah Cinnamon Co., Savannah, Ga. The company was founded by the Manning family in their own home. I found the mix in Blue Ridge, Georgia at their Farmer's Market Harvest Festival. "

Note: there are no photos because I drank it all before it occured to me to take them.

No comments: