Monday, October 22, 2007

Yes, it's Vegan (Chili)

Last week the weather was decidedly fall-like and having me crave a giant vat of vegetable chili. Of course, no sooner than I made it and began devouring it, it turned 80 again.

When I make chili I don't follow a recipe. I brown and soften in a pot (with olive oil) whatever veggies I have. This week is was two white onions, carrots, and celery.



After the veggies have softened, I start dumping in (drained) cans of beans: white beans, garbonzo beans, black beans, red kidney beans, and pink kidney beans. Then I dump in a couple of small cans of tomato sauce and a large can of diced tomoatoes (note, canned tomatoes are better for you than fresh tomatoes as they contain more lypocene).

Then I add salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, and chili powder to taste, dump in a bag of frozen corn, and then let it cook on low for about 20 minutes or until everything is softened.



It's a relatively easy and inexpensive meal to make. My vat made about 12 servings.

No comments: