Sunday, October 14, 2007

Veggie-palooza Lasagna

I love vegitable lasagna. I consider it to be a comfort food, but also the perfect meal to serve to guests.

Because it is so time consuming I only make it a)when I'm running in a giant race or b) when friends are over for dinner. This time I used both excuses to make it.

I adapted this recipe from a jar of Ragu (no, really).

It makes 12 servings.

Veggie No Boil Lasagna

Ingridients

1 Tbsp olive oil
1 medium sweet onion
1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 medium zucchini, cut in half lengthwiseand thinly sliced
2 containers (15 oz) ricotta cheese
2 cups shredded mozerella cheese
1/2 grated parmesan cheese
2 eggs
2 jars pasta sauce
12 uncooked lasagna noodles


Before I begin with the directions, let me just add that instead of one red bell pepper, I used about a cup of frozen, mixed, bell pepper strips. I also added a yellow squash which I cut like the zucchini, and a box of frozen spinach.

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In a 12 inch nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat and cook onion, bell peppers, zucchini, and squash, stirring occassionaly until softened and browned (about 5 minutes).


3. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine ricotta cheese, thawed spinach, 1/4 cup parmesain cheese, and eggs.


4. In a 13 x9 inch baking dish, spread 1 cup pasta sauce. Layer 4 unoocked noodles, then one cup sauce, half the ricotta mixture, and half the veggies. Repeat. Top with remaining uncooked noodles, and 2 cups of sauce.
5. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour.
6. Remove foil and sprinkle remaining mozerella cheese on top. Bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
7. Let stand 10 minutes.



Cook's notes:
1. I used less than 1 jar of sauce. I didn't want it all saucy.
2. Make sure to buy the noodles labeled "no bake."

No comments: