Sunday, October 14, 2007

It's Indian! (but not vegan) Keema Matar

Awhile back a friend made me Keema Matar (with lamb) and I loved it so much I was begging for the recipe with my mouth full of lamb and peas.

I took last week off as an at home vacation and did a lot of cooking. Mr. Snowgoose was in town, so I used him as an excuse to make this.

Keema Matar

Ingridients
1 pound ground lamb (or ground chicken, which is what I used)
1 small onion, or 1/2 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 8 oz. can tomato paste
2-4 Tbs. Patak's Mild Curry Paste
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup frozen or fresh peas
chopped cilantro to garnish
Vegetable oil for sauteeing

Directions:
1. In a large skillet, brown the lamb until cooked through. Set aside.


2. Add vegetable oil as needed and sautee the onion for 2-3 minutes until browned. Add garlic during the last minute so it doesn't burn.

3. Spoon the lamb back into the skillet and add the curry paste, water, and tomato paste. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for 15 minutes.


4. Add the peas and stir to combine. Cover and simmer for another 5 minutes. The sauce should be fairly thick. You can add more water if you want it thinner.

5. Garnish with the cilantro. Serve over warm rice.



Cook's notes:

1. Instead of the 1 cup of peas, I added an entire bag of frozen peas. It didn't steal too much from the chicken.

2. In addition to the rice (I cooked long grain brown rice) I served the Keema Matar with garlic naan bread (from the freezer at the store) and lentil soup.

3. I will play around with the recipie and try to make it vegan. Maybe I'll sub in chickpeas or some sort of tofu instead of the chicken.

4. Unfortunately this meal requires you to babysit the stove and stir frequently, but it comes out looking glamourous. After this, you'll never want to eat Indian takeout again!

No comments: