Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Crockpot Classic: Lentil Soup

I can't believe I haven't posted this before. Can it be I haven't made lentil soup in nearly a year?

I lost the recipe, but I feel like since I've made this so many times before I can do this from memory.

Note: this is a double recipe

Lentil Soup:

Ingredients
large yellow onion, chopped
2 or 3 garlic cloves
bag of lentils
2 1/2 cups diced cooked ham, (about a 1/2 inch) or lots of bacon if you like
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped celery
8 cups water or broth
1 teaspoon ground red (cayenne) pepper
salt and pepper to taste
3 cups fresh baby spinach

Directions
1. In a large crock pot combine everything but spinach. Cook on low for 7-8 hours or high for 3-4.
2. Add spinach and cook on high for 10 minutes.

It's pretty simple and you can make it spicier if you like. Vegans and vegetarians should omit the ham for obvious reasons. If you dare, combine the ham AND the bacon.



This makes at least 8-10 servings depending how hungry you are.

I served this with my Indian feast last week. I've been eating it ever since.

Update on the squash soup:
So I remade the recipe the other night, doing the full recipe with the entire squash and adding extra bacon and it came out much oranger than before. It almost looked like the photo! I would have liked it thicker. Perhaps next time buy a larger butternut squash and maybe add a half of an extra apple.

No comments: