Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Via Chicago

I spent last weekend in Chicago visiting friends. Obviously, I didn't cook, but I did eat at some fantastic places. Here are the highlights:

Green Zebra, Vegetarian Cuisine

The whole menu looked delicious. I would have loved to have sampled everything; however, neither my wallet nor my stomach were large enough.

I had the 5 course Tomato Tasting Menu:

We started off with this:


I couldn't tell you what it is called but it involved a spoon full of balsamic vinegar, a piece of watermelon, and a tomato. Surprisingly light and refreshing.

"Caprese": green zebra tomatoes, baslamic, gelee, burrata



This was one of my favorite courses of the night.

Chilled Gazpacho: fried okra, white anchovy



My least favorite course. Ian ate the anchovy.

Roasted Tomato Tart: roasted shallot puree, Parmesan foam



Loved it, except for the foam.

Semolina Gnocchi: heirloom tomatoes, favas, fried sage.



Very filling. I could only eat half.

The last course was Vanilla Bean Cheasecake with cinnamon tomato compote and candied tomatoes. This was so very good. Too bad I ate it before taking a picture.


Ian got:

Shaved artichoke salad with Parmesan, preserved lemons, and red pepper foam



Foam= gross.

Chilled Arugula Soup, tomatoes, sliced black truffles


The truffles were to die for.

Blue Cheese Beignets, roasted mission fig, bearnaise, port wine


Ian loved it. I found it nasty, mostly because I don't like blue cheese.

Prospera Farms Chicken Egg, smoked potato puree, parsley, country sourdough



The potato was so creamy, you could have sworn there was cheese hiding in it.



We also ate at Orange, a brunch place. Most of the food was typical brunch fare like eggs and pancakes and such. But they did have chai french toast, chocolate chip pancakes, green eggs (pesto) and ham, and frushi.

Frushi is fruit sushi: we had watermelon and kiwi/strawberry sushi with orange rice.



It was really sweet. Not so much a breakfast food, but maybe a dessert. The brown stuff is chocolate sauce.



We also got fresh juice blends. Mine was watermelon,pineapple, blueberry.



The watermelon was really overpowering.

No comments: