Monday, September 10, 2007

My Famous Blueberry Zucchini Bread

I know what you're thinking: blueberries and zucchinis? Together in a bread? But zucchinis are a vegetable. I hate vegetables. This sounds totally nasty.

Don't worry my friends. This doesn't taste weird or like vegetables. In fact, aside from a few green specks, most people wouldn't be able to tell there was a vegetable in there. The great thing about zucchinis is that the water content of them is like a zillion, so you can potentially leave the bread on the counter for days and it will still be moist, unlike banana bread which dries out pretty quickly.

I came across this recipe last summer, back when I started getting the box of organic produce delivered to me every week. Of course, along with the blueberries and zucchinis in the box, there was a recipe for this fruit bread.

Now I love fruit breads, partially because they can count as breakfast or dessert, depending on the time of day. And I like blueberries. And I like zucchinis. Because of the abundance of said blueberries and zucchinis in the summer and into the fall, this is the perfect harvest-time treat.

Ingredients:

2 eggs, lightly beaten or equivalent egg replacer
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup shredded zucchini (I peeled mine first) Usually 1 medium size is enough.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 pint fresh blueberries (or about 1 1/2 cups frozen)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease two mini loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar. Fold in the zucchini. Beat in the flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon. Gently fold in the blueberries. Transfer to prepared mini-loaf pans.
3. Bake 50 minutes in the preheated oven, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool 20 minutes in pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely.

Makes 2 mini loaves, adapted from allrecipes.com.



Chef's notes:

You could probably make this vegan by adding soy yogurt instead of eggs. You could also substitute splenda for baking or applesauce for the sugar to make it healthier. I've used spenda before and it tasted fine. I also once made a whole wheat version of this, which was good, but tasted better 3/4 cup all purpose flour and 3/4 cup wheat.

My blueberries have the tendency to settle closer to the bottom of the bread.

I made this as a thank you for some friends who were hosting Ian and I as house guests in Chicago. Ian decided to make a blueberry-banana bread and we had ourselves a little bake off. His was good, but the moistness of my bread raised the bar. Eating slices of the breads side to side made me realize that they really don't taste all that different from each other.

1 comment:

snowgoose said...

Did you have an impartial judge deciding whose was moistest? I demand a rebake!