Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Vegan Cupcakes Just Took Over this Blog Part 2

"I gave one of your cupcakes to Rubi, and here’s what she said:

“WOW that cupcake was amazing!! I scarfed it down before I got to the end of the hall.”"

This is a direct quote about the fantastic cupcake goodness that is the vegan Mint Chocolate cupcakes I made for a coworker who just got promoted to Management.

The Mint Chocolate (or MC as I like to call) Cupcake recipe is almost identical to the cookies and cream one, so it was ridiculously easy to make and the batter was even better.

Here goes:

It follows the recipe for a basic chocolate cupcake, but it's anything but basic.

Ingridients:
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract (I used more vanilla)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa poder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mint extract

For the Mint Icing:
1/4 cup non hydrogenated shortening
3 cups confectioners sugar
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon soy ccreamer or milk
1 1/2 teaspoons mint extract
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Small drop of food covering liquid

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
2. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
3. In a seperate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add the sugar, oil, and extracts to soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.
5. Add the dry ingrideients in two batches to wet ingridients and beat until no large lumps remain.
6. Stir in cookie bits.
7. Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.

Mint Icing Directions:
1. Cream the shortening for a few seconds to soften it. It may be easier to use a fork rather than a handheld mixer.
2. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and a splash (tablesoon) of soy milk and mix to incorperate. Alternately add sugar and milk, mixing after each addition, until all the ingridients are used and the icing is smooth and creamy. Add the mint and vanilla extracts and coloring and mix well.



Now the actual directions also want you to fill a pastry bag with icing to the cupcake, and even though I own one, I was too lazy, so I just smeared the grean icing on the cupcakes. There was also directions to add garnache to the top, but I ignored it and added sprinkles instead.

The icing actually turned out because I made a point to buy sugar along with the mint extract, but there was a slight disaster with the cupcakes.

When the cupcakes were done baking, I pulled them out of the oven and set them on the stove top to cool. Big mistake. Apparently I accidentally hit the burner and turned it on and the next thing I knew the cupcakes were smoking. At first I was confused and I actually said aloud, "why are the cupcakes smoking?" and I rushed to open a window. When I returned to the cupcakes I realized the burner was on, hence the smoke, turned it off, and dumped the cupcakes on the counter. Fortunately only 3 cupcakes were scorched, so there was not a total loss. But my apartment still smells like burned chocolate.



These cupcakes are amazing. They taste like Girl Scout Cookies. Sometimes vegan cupackes get too moist, but these turned out perfect. I will warn you that they are messy to make and after I was done I had to clan out the crevices in my mixer with a q-tip, but they are totally worth it.

They'll make your most carnivorous friends proud.

Next time I think I'll mix the cookies and cream into the mint mix to give make it a double whammy of sugar. I imagine you could use splenda if you were watching your girlish figure, but I haven't tried low fat vegan cupcakes yet. I imagine if I keep eating them at this rate, low fat vegan cupcakes make make an appearance.

Did I mention how awesome these are?

No comments: