Monday, August 27, 2007

They're not vegan: Snickerdoodles

Yesterday on my way home I had a craving for snickerdoodles, a cookie I never really liked until recently. I decided that if I really wanted them I had to bake them from scratch. Fortunately when I got home I discovered that I actually had all of the ingredients including cream of tartar.

I thought these would be quick and easy cookies. No. Yes, it takes like five minutes to mix the batter, but apparently you have to chill the dough for an hour before cooking. I guess this is makes it easier to roll the dough into little balls and hang on to the cinnamon and sugar.

Here it is:

Snickerdoodles (From the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook)
prep: 25 minutes
chill: 1 hour
bake: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg beaters)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Directions:
1. In a medium mixing bowl beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add the 1 cup sugar, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Beat until combined. Beat in the egg and vanilla till combined. Beat in as much of the flour as possible as you can with the mixer. Stir in the remaining flour. cover and chill one hour.
2. Combine the 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in the sugar mix to coat.
Place 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 10 or 11 minutes or until edges are golden. Transfer cookies to a wire rack and cool

Makes 36 cookies

Nutrition facts: 66 cal, 3 gram total fat, 0 grm fiber, 1 grm protien


Cook's notes:
1. I misread the directions and combined 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon. This made the cookies extra cinnamony.

These cookies were fantastic! I seriously devoured several fresh from the oven last night when they were all warm and gooey. The were even good at breakfast with my chai tea. I'll take the rest to work to share so I don't continue to eat them all. Next time I make them I'll use splenda for baking so that they aren't quite as sugary.

No comments: