Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Vegan Cupcakes Just Took Over This Blog Part 1

I am in love.

With a cookbook.

How can I not fall in love with a cookbook all about vegan cupcakes?

I've been waiting for Isa Chandra Moskowitz' "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" for months and it finally came to me at the library. In fact, it was perfect timing because a friend was celebrating her birthday (and moving on the same day) and I wanted to bring cupcakes.

This book is seriously the bomb. I spent hours drooling over the 75 recipes until I found the perfect one "Cookies and Cream."

Here goes:

It follows the recipe for a basic chocolate cupcake, but it's anything but basic.

Ingridients:
1 cup soy milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract, chocolate extract, or more vanilla extract (I used more vanilla)
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa poder, Dutch-processed or regular
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (10 cookies) of coarsly chopped vegan chocoalet cream-filled sandwich cookies like Newman-O's.

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line muffin pan with paper or foil liners.
2. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes to curdle.
3. In a seperate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
4. Add the sugar, oil, and extracts to soy milk mixture and beat until foamy.
5. Add the dry ingrideients in two batches to wet ingridients and beat until no large lumps remain.
6. Stir in cookie bits.
7. Pour into liners, filling three-quarters of the way. Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool completely.

Vegan Fluffy Buttercream Frosting

Ingriedients:
1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shorting
1/2 cup non hydrogentated margerine (like EarthBalance)
3 1/3 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup plain soy milk or soy creamer
1/2 cup crushed Newman-O's
Directions:
1. Beat the shortening and margerine together until well combined and fluffy.
2. Add the sugar and beat for about 3 minutes.
3. Add the cookies, vanilla, and soy milk and beat for another 5 to 7 minutes until fluffy.
4. Go crazy smearing it on the cupcakes.
5. Top each cupcake with half of a cookie.

Cook's notes:

1. The cupcakes came out wonderfully, but I must confess, they weren't entirely vegan. I bought a package of Newman-O's about 4 days before making the cupcakes and managed to eat the entire bag, so when the time came, I had no cookies and had to run out to CVS and buy Oreos, which were not vegan.
2. I didn't look at my ingridients closely before making the frosting. I saw a box of confectioners sugar in the cupboard and assumed I had enough. Nope. I had one cup. I still tried to make the frosting but it was just a giant buttery mess. I added granulated sugar but it just made the butter mix crunchy. Apparently you can turn granuated sugar into confectioners sugar if you put it in a food processor or blender and mix until powdery and then add 1 teaspoon cornstarch per cup of granulated sugar to thicken it.
3. So instead I used a can of vanilla frosting that has been sitting in my cupboard since the red velvet cake making in February (unopened) and I miked in the cookies. Had I not told my friends they probably would never have known.
4. I learned an easy way to transfer batter into the muffin tins: an ice cream scoop. There's no spillage and it serves the right amount.
5. The recipe actually yeilded 17 pretty good size cupcakes. Probably there ould have been more had I not eaten the batter, but it was the best cake batter ever!
6. I snacked on some oreos while I made them and wound up only have enough cookies to put a 1/4 of a cookie on each cupcake.
7. Target has these really cute cupcake boxes to use for transporting them around town. Someone even mistook them for store bought cupcakes!

Seriously, though, these were the best cupcakes ever and even got rave reviews from a teenage boy.

I promise to post pictures soon!

No comments: