Thursday, June 14, 2007

Shrimp Gazpach-Yo!, Formerly Shrimp and Artichoke Gazpacho

Nothing spells summer like a picnic in the park with chilled bowls of gazpacho and fruit salad. Despite the fact that Summer Solstice still has not occurred, I kick started my summer season early with this recipe from the June 2007 issue of Runner's World.

Shrimp and Artichoke Gazpacho (I omitted the artichokes)

Ingredients:
5 cups chopped tomatoes
1 clove garlic, minced
2 English cucumbers, peeled and diced
1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, seeded,sliced (or jarred) (note I just used fresh red peppers)
1/4 cup minced green onion (just the white part)
4 cups tomato juice
1/4 cup bottled chili sauce
1 tablespoon horseradish (I also omitted this because I never stock it in my kitchen)1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce (again, something else I don't have)
2 tablespoons each of freshly chopped basil, oregano, and parsley
2 cups small bay shrimp, precooked, or fresh grilled shrimp, diced
1 avocado diced
1 1/2 quartered artichoke hearts (drain liquid) (skip this if you're lazy like me)
salt and pepper to taste
pinch of cayenne

Directions:
1. Stir everything together and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.
2. garnish with lemon slices and sliced green onions.

Serves 6
Calories: 260, fat: 7g, carbs: 30g, protein: 25g, potassium: 1400mg

Notes:

I added fresh cook corn, as I had several ear in my box of organic produce. I also added diced green peppers for more crunch.

The great thing about gazpacho is that you can throw whatever you have ripening in your fridge/kitchen in, and it still tastes good. You can also use canned, diced tomatoes if you want.

Now, there's a small debate on tomatoes: to core and seed or to not core and seed. Half the recipes I consulted said core and seed. The other half said just dice and throw in the soup. I chose the latter, because well, I'm lazy. Besides, did you see the ingredients list? There's practically a whole grocery store in this gazpacho.

And it made more than 6 servings. Maybe 8. For a bit more kick, use V-8 or vegetable juice rather than plain tomato juice and add extra cayenne.

Only then can you call it: Gazpach-Yo!

No comments: