Thursday, June 14, 2007

I love my magic bullet: Hallelujah Hummus

Earlier this year, for my birthday, a friend gave me a Magic Bullet. It took me a while to get used to it, but now I'm obsessed with it, particularly with making smoothies for breakfast with it.

I've also been itching to make my own hummus. The recipe I found in the Magic Bullet cookbook was easy and quick. Probably the hardest part of the process was shopping for ingridients. It took twenty minutes and two Whole Foods employees to locate tahini (sesame paste). Would you believe it was next to the peanut butter? I would have thought it'd have been in the ethnic food aisle.

Here it is:
1/3 cup chicken or vegetable stock
14 oz. can of chickpeas, drained
3 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons tahini

Directions:
1) Add ingriedients into tall cup (or blender)
2) Blend until smooth

Now I'd be lying if I said my hummus was smoothy and creamy. It took several tries to mash up all the chickpeas.

But it was yummy!

You probably could mix in olives, roasted peppers, artichokes, ect to create other flavors.

Serve with pita slices or chips, or freshly sliced vegitables.

3 comments:

middypuppy said...

Don't smash the chickpeas at all! Let the magic bullet do the work. Mine is always smooth. If you blend it longer and with the 4 blade attachment, you shouldn't have a problem. Make sure you use canned chickpeas/garbonzo beans.

Anonymous said...

You don't need the chicken stock.

Jon E. Drucker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.