Monday, June 11, 2007

I Can't Believe it's Vegan!: Vegan Lasgana

I apologize for the hiatis. It's not that I haven't been cooking, I just haven't been posting. I promise at least three more recipes later this week.

I love lasgana, particularly veggie lasagna. Since I've stayed mostly vegan, I thought it might be nice to try a non dairy version. I've had several great vegitable lasagnas over the years, so I added a few of my favorite things. A simple google search led me to the following site: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Vegan-Lasagna-II/Detail.aspx

Note: The ingriedients I added are in parentheses


INGREDIENTS
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 pound mushrooms (I used practically an entire container of sliced mushrooms)
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 (10.75 ounce) can tomato puree (tomato sauce works fine)
1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed and drained
2 teaspoons garlic salt
2 tablespoons Italian-style seasoning
1 (12 ounce) package soft tofu
2/3 (16 ounce) package instant lasagna noodles
(1 zuchinni)
(1/2 cup broccoli)
(1 large onion)
(soy mozzerela cheese)
(soy parmasean cheese)


DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet, saute garlic and mushrooms (and onions, broccoli, and zuchinni) in oil until all the liquid is cooked out. Add 1/3 tomato puree to mushrooms and garlic, cook 2 to 3 minutes, and remove from heat.
3. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine spinach, garlic salt, Italian seasoning and tofu. Blend until the mixture is an even consistency. Heat in a microwave on high for 2 minutes.
4. In a 9x9 inch baking pan, pour one thin layer of remaining tomato puree, a layer of noodles, 1/2 the tofu mixture, the mushroom sauce (with extra veggies, a layer of noodles, 1/2 the tofu mixture, a layer of tomato puree, a layer of noodles, and a final layer of tomato puree.
5. Layer the top of the lasagna with soy cheeses.
6. Bake 45 minutes in the preheated oven.

Cook's notes:
I wound up throwing an impromptu dinner party for dairy/meat loving friends and they loved this dish (at least they said so). I thought it might taste funny without ricotta, but with the tofu preplacement, I couldn't tell.

Make sure to add extra sauce to the top of the lasagna before baking so noodles do not harden and become crunchy.

It claims to serve 2 or three, but it fed four of us and I still had half for leftovers. Serve with fresh bread and a salad and a good red wine.

I loved this so much I think I'll keep it in my regular recipe rotation.

Coming soon: shrimp gazpacho, homemade hummus, and potato cassarole.

No comments: