Monday, May 14, 2007

What was I thinking?: Chickpea and Roasted Garlic Soup

After the success of the white bean and roasted garlic soup, I thought I'd try a different version, one that I got out of a skincare book.

No, really.

The teaser for the soup reads: This hearty soup is thick and wonderfully rich. Chickpeas help the digestive system, which in turn helps clear up complexion problems. The garlic is sweet from the roasting and a good boost for your immune system

Chickpea and Roasted Garlic Soup from "The Ciminelli Solution."
Serves 6 to 8

Ingredients:
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped (I used like 6 baby carrots)
1 stalk celery, chopped (I omitted this)
2 cups cooked chickpeas (I used canned)
1 large head roasted garlic
2 tsp freshly chopped rosemary (I used dry)
2 quarts chicken stock (I used vegetable broth)
sea salt
freshly ground white pepper (I used black)
juice and zest from 1 lemon (I skipped this)
1/2 cup freshly chopped flat leaf parsley (I skipped this)

Directions:
Don't forget to roast your garlic!
1. In a soup pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add vegetables and saute for 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas, roasted garlic, rosemary, and stock. Cook 20 minutes.
2. Transfer soup into a blender or use an immersion blender and puree until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and reheat. Taste and adjust seasonings.
3. Just before serving, add lemon juice and zest and parsley.

Chef's notes:
The soup sounded good. And easy. But it wasn't. It didn't look like the last soup. It was extremely watery, so I continued to add chickpeas and carrots. It didn't really help. Finally I quit.

Now I have a zillion containers of this in my freezer to eat if I'm ever too poor to buy food.

Really, it wasn't gross. It just wasn't good.

Skip this one kids.

It's not worthy of photos.

No comments: