Monday, May 14, 2007

I Can't Believe it's Vegan: Cinnamon Raisin Bran Muffins

Oh. My. Lord. These muffins are to die for. Seriously, they're the best muffins ever. You have to believe me. And I found them when I was weeding through all the vegan baking websites on the net.

From Bakingsheet.blogspot.com (recipe is adapted from Sweet and Natural Baking)

Cinnamon Raisin Bran Muffins: makes 1 dozen

Ingredients:

1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup wheat bran
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/3 cup grade b maple syrup
3/4 cup vanilla soy milk (I used plan and it tasted fine)
2 tbsp vegitable oil
1 cup raisins

Directions:
1). Preheat oven to 350 and grease 12 muffin cups or tin.
2). In a large bowl, mix together flours, wheat bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
3). In a small bowl, whisk together maple syrup, soymilk, and vegitable oil. Pour into flour mixture and stir until just combined. Then add raisins.
4). Distribute mix evenly into greased muffin cups.
5). Bake at 350 for about 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.


Chef's notes:
1). The recipe actually claims to only make 10 muffins, but I made 12 and still had batter to lick.
2). The great thing about vegan baking? You don't have to worry about salmanella or getting sick from raw eggs.
3). To spice things up I added 1 tbsp of flax seeds. In theory it sounded great, but whenever I bit into a seed I felt like I broke a tooth. Maybe next time I'll try grinding the flax seeds.
4). One dozen bran muffins lasted me 36 hours and I only shared one muffin with Steph. Note to self: make a double batch next time.
5). I love these, even more than the poppy seed muffins.

These are perfect for breakfast, a snack, or when you're on the run. Or if you need more fiber in your diet.

I wonder how they'll taste if I use only wheat flour?

Note: Josie did not like the bran muffins.

Pictures to follow as soon as I make another batch.

No comments: