Saturday, April 28, 2007

I can't believe it's vegan!: Carrot-Rasin Muffins

I've been on a muffin kick for some time now. I like to pretend they're really cupcakes, but with fiber. Sometimes it works.

Since the Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins were such a hit, I thought I'd try another muffin recipe from "Vegan with a Vengeance."

I should point out that I'm not a big fan of carrots in stuff. I like them raw, occasionally in a soup, but not in my baked goods. I will never make carrot cake.

Before beginning the actual recipe, one must do some prep work. Apparently if you soak raisins in hot water for 10 minutes it makes them plump and juicy. I suppose you might want plump and juicy raisins exploding in your mouth when you bite into the muffin.

Also, note that since this is a carrot-raisin muffin, carrots are required. Actually, 2 cups of grated carrot are required.

I was considering making a double batch of these, just in case they turned out to me heaven in a paper wrapper; however, after grating 2 cups of carrots I changed my mind. Seriously it took me forever and the scraps kept flinging everywhere. And as it turns out, my female cat likes shredded carrot. If worse comes to worse and the muffins suck, I'll just give them to her (also note that she loved the lemon poppy seed muffins. I think she wants to be vegan).

So let's begin!

Carrot-Raisin Muffins (from "Vegan with a Vengeance" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz)
Makes 1 dozen

Ingredients:

1/2 cup of raisins (feel free to add more, I did)
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup rice or soy milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups grated carrot

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or lightly grease with oil.
2. Soak raisins in a bowl of hot water and begin preparing the batter. In a large mixing bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, and salt.
3. Create a well in the center and add the milk, oil, and vanilla; mix with a wooden spoon until just combined.
4. Fold in the grated carrots and raisins.
5. Fill the muffin tins three-quarters full. Bake for 18-22 minutes, until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center of one comes out clean.
6. Let them cool on a cooling rack.

Notes:

They took some getting used to, but eventually I liked the taste. Sharona gave them a thumbs up, and Josie ate the crumbs. In the future (if I ever decide to do this again), I'll buy the grated carrot. It's not worth it (for me) to sit there and try not to slice off my thumb. Plus, I'm lazy. I should write a cookbook and call it "The Lazy Baker."

These muffins make a good breakfast food if you eat on the run.



Coming soon: Whole wheat bran muffins (are you excited yet?) and roasted garlic and garbanzo bean soup.

No comments: