Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Don't worry, it's not vegan (but it is Passover safe): DD's

Disclaimer: These brownies are not named after me. Let me tell you, if I invented a brownie it would be easy to make and not use 9 eggs. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Last night I was invited to a Passover Seder at Sharona's. Technically it was my first Seder. Per Sharona's request, I brought these DD brownies, which use NO FLOUR whatsoever.

And in case you were wondering, the DD is for "Deadly Dessert." And the name is true, because during the baking process I wanted to kill the brownies.

DD's from "Rosie's Bakery All-Butter Fresh Cream Sugar-Packed No Holds Barred Baking Book" by Judy Rosenberg

Makes 12-16 brownies

Ingredients:

12 ounces semisweet chocolate
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
1 cup (two sticks) unsalted butter
9 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
1 cup plus two tablespoons sugar

Directions:
1. Melt both chocolates and the butter in the top of a double boiler placed over simmering water. Allow the mixture to cool until it is only slightly warm.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 inch pan with butter or vegetable oil.
3. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, beat the egg yolks and 3/4 cup plus two tablespoons sugar in a medium-size mixing bowl until thick and pale, about two minutes. Stop the mixer once or twice to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
4. With the mixer on medium-low speed, add the chocolate mixture and mix until the batter is uniform in color, about 10 seconds. Scrape the bow, then mix for several seconds more.
5. In another mixing bowl, whip the egg whites on medium-high speed until frothy, about 30 seconds. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and continue beating the whites to soft peaks, about 45 seconds more.
6. Stir one-third of the whites into the batter to loosen it, then fold the remaining whites into the mixture carefully by hand, using a rubber spatula. Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pan.
7. Bake the brownies on the center oven rack until the top has risen and set and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
8. Place the pan on a rack to cool for 1 hour before cutting.

A few things:
1. I didn't know what a double broiler was, and I assumed I didn't have it. I boiled a pot of water and placed a pyrex glass dish on top and slowly melted the butter and chocolate. This was the first time I've ever melted chocolate and I was worried I would burn it. Also, eating a piece of unsweetened chocolate is a bad idea because it tastes nasty.
2. I had a hard time separating the eggs. The egg whites got mixed with the yolks and some of the yolk wound up in the whites. Did it really matter? No.
3. At some point in the mixing process you'll have to wash the beaters because you don't want to mix the chocolate with the frothy egg whites.
4. The brownies took 50 minutes to bake in my oven. They looked and smelled like brownies, but I was a little nervous of the outcome.
5. The recipe called for topping the brownies with fruit jam and homemade whipped cream. I obviously skipped that part.



Really, this dessert was a pain in the butt to make. It took forever and was extremely messy. Let's just say there was a lot of chocolate goo everywhere.

But the brownies were a hit at the Seder. I'm glad I didn't kill anyone and that they turned out okay. I have a history of screwing up the desserts I bring to Sharona.

And I will never, ever make them again. 9 eggs is a little much.

No comments: