Wednesday, March 21, 2007

I can't believe it's vegan (no, really!): Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

I like muffins. Well, not as much as cupcakes, but they come in a close second or third. Sometimes I pretend like I'm really eating cake for breakfast (which is only allowed on birthdays).

I saw this recipe a few weeks ago, and thought it sounded good. Then this morning before work I decided I needed muffins. Plus they're wicked easy to make. And yummy. Did I mention that?

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
From "Vegan with a Vengeance's" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz (special thanks to Sharona who surprised me with the cookbook last week).

Makes 1 Dozen Muffins

Ingredients
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I actually skipped the whole wheat four this time)
1/4 cup of sugar (I use Splenda for Baking)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup rice or soy milk (I like Silk)
1 (6-ounce) container plain or vanilla soy yogurt (Silk again, I used plain, but opt for vanilla if you want sweeter muffins)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest (two lemons worth. It's a pain in the butt to zest, but without them it'd be just poppy seed muffins and that's just lame)
1 tablespoon poppy seeds (I used 1 1/2 tablespoons)

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees (unless you have a gas oven like me. In that case, wait until you're ready to pop the muffins in, so you don't have to worry about accidentally gassing yourself or turning your kitchen into a furnace).
2. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk (keyword there. No blending yet) together the oil, soy milk, yogurt, and vanilla.
4. Add the lemon zest to the wet ingredients.
5. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry; halfway through mixing, fold in the poppy seeds.
6. Spray a twelve muffin tin with non stick spray and fill each cup 2/3.
7. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Serve warm.


I love, love, love these. It took a lot of self control not to eat the muffins as soon as they were done. I recommend you make a double or triple batch, because they're so tasty.

They're almost better than cupcakes.

Almost.

No comments: