Monday, March 19, 2007

I can't believe it's vegan: easy black bean soup

Last week I had a random craving for black bean soup but I didn't want to go grocery shopping to buy ingredients. After scouring the web for a few minutes I came across this recipe, and I miraculously had all of these ingredients in my possession.


From vegfamily.com


Easy Black Bean Soup


Ingredients:

1 onion, chopped
1 Tbs olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups water
15 oz can black beans, not drained
14 oz can diced tomatoes, not drained
1/3 cup rice
salt and ground cayenne, to taste


Directions:
1. Saute the onion in a large pot. When it is soft and slightly browned, add the garlic and saute a minute longer.

2. Add water, beans, tomatoes, and rice. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium.
3. Simmer until rice is done (at least 45 minutes for brown rice).
4. Add salt and cayenne and puree soup with a hand blender, blender, or food processor.


Variations: I spaced during step 4 and did not puree the soup. In retrospect I don't think it was necessary. The soup might have tasted the same, but it wouldn't have been as pretty.

I also added an additional 1/2 cup of rice because I totally heart rice. I recommend going with the long grain brown rice if you're not in a rush. It tastes even better with freshly sliced avocados.

Serve with warm whole wheat tortillas or crumble a few tortilla chips into the soup for an added kick.

No comments: