Thursday, March 8, 2007

Hamantaschen for Purim

Happy Purim! It was a couple of days ago, so I dutifully made a double recipe of prune hamantaschen, which I then shared with my bachelor uncle, my Mom and Gramma in Florida, and everyone at work. Purim's all about bringing food and joy to others. I wanted to make poppyseed ones too, but sadly they were out of the stuff at the supermarket.

Hamantaschen (Gramma's recipe, sort of)
oven at 350

2 3/4 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbs baking powder
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 eggs, beaten
2 tbs milk
1 can Solo prune, poppy, or other fruit filling (usually in the Jewish section of markets)

Stir together the first five ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add eggs and milk and mix until dough binds together. Knead it a bit. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.

Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut out circles with a 3-inch round cookie cutter (I use a glass). Put 1 tsp filling in center of each circle. Bring three edges of circle together in the middle to form a triangle, leaving a hole in the center. Squeeze tight so they don't fall apart in the oven. (This is easier than it sounds!) Place on greased baking sheets.

Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire racks.

All too soon, it will be Passover, and then you can learn my secret recipe for farfel kugel. And how I get my matzah balls to be oh-so-fluffy!

No comments: