Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Crock-pot Split Pea Soup: It's a Gas!

I had a fantastic split pea soup in Seattle last week, and since then I’ve been craving it. This is my first time making it. I’ve made some smokin’ lentil soups in my crock-pot, so I figured it wouldn’t be too hard. I was right.


Split Pea Soup with Ham (and Bacon)

Serves 6 Ready in about 5 hours

Ingredients


½ pound smoked cooked ham, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cans (14.5 oz) of chicken broth (I added about a cup of water)
1 pound dried split peas, sorted and rinsed
3 carrots, thinly sliced (I only had baby carrots, so I just cut up a handful)
2 stalks celery, thinly sliced
½ teaspoon dried marjoram leaves (I imagine you could skip the spices if you wanted. I didn’t plan on using these, as I generally don’t buy them. But a co-worker heard me complain that I didn’t have any, so she brought me some from home)
1 bay leaf
two pieces of cooked bacon (for flavor)



Directions
Place a nonstick skillet over medium heat; add butter, ham, and onion; cook until onion is tender and ham is slightly brown. Try not to burn the onions like I did.
Drain excess fat. If you’re adding bacon, now is the time to fry it up.



Combine mixture and remaining ingredients in crock-pot.



Cover and cook on LOW (total lie, I cooked it on medium for three hours) for 5 to 6 hours, or until split peas are tender. Remove bay leaf and let stand for 10 minutes to thicken.



It tasted fantastic and was even better the next day.




Note: You may want to pop a few Beanos before eating the pea soup!

I probably won’t make this again considering that I had to spend 15 minutes frying crap just to dump it in the crock-pot. Isn’t the point of crock-pot to just dump everything in and let it cook and do little to no work?

Side note: on my way home from work today I found a round Rival crock-pot next to someone’s trash. I’ve washed it, but have yet to actually test to see if it works.

Coming soon: crock-pot apple cobbler!

No comments: